:: View topic - The Secret World

The Secret World -
  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aram PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:27 pm

The Secret World

I was sort of on the fence about this game... but after watching the GDC presentation, it looks more and more like i will get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSUgKbKaWs

I REALLY like that you can change out your spec mid-play. "We don't have a tank!", "Oh, let me load that spec, one second..." it's around the 14 minute mark in the video Smile

DoohickeyJones PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm

and if you sign up and preorder now...full beta access.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

Now I have to decide, buy the game and one of the lesser packs, or just say bugger it and go with the Grandmaster Pack.
Site Contributor

Aram PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:44 pm

Yeah i'm wondering the same thing. if you play for more than a year, worth it. if you don't... waste of money. choices! i don't even know if i'll have time to play it... League of Legends and Diablo III... along with my giant list of backlogged Steam games.

I was going to build a hackintosh, but this would eat up half of those funds Smile

Gunthore PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

What's your summoner name on LoL? That's the game I'm playing most atm.
Site Contributor

Aram PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

it's chorpie. i only really play PvE though, which most people find boring.

Doomey PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 pm

played like an hour of the beta so far. Pretty awesome graphics on max settings. Not sure what I think about the game yet though.

View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressMSN Messenger Reply with quote
Gunthore PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:32 pm

So I guess game is buy to play, like GW2, one time purchase unlock all content. On Sale on steam for $12 right now, seems like a good deal. Think I'll pass since I got my fix of new game from Wildstar last week.
Site Contributor

Sundyne PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:56 am

I have been having fun in Wildstar too, Gun Smile
Site Contributor

Bartenders will once more sell alcoholic beverages to level 90 adventurers, having been persuaded that all rumors of unfortunate high-level drunken raiding incidents are in fact vile slander and in no way explain why Roehn Theer remains undefeated.
Gunthore PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 am

I didn't buy it, I just used a guest pass from Doomey. What class are you playing? I played a warrior to 19 which I just didn't enjoy that much. I started a mesmer? No that's not it, I can't remember, not a spellslinger, but the other caster that stands still and I was liking that one more even though I hadn't made it to lvl 10 yet.

Edit: Esper, it was Esper.
Site Contributor

Gunthore PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 am

The Secret World just relaunched as Secret World Legends. TSW is still online, for now, but won't be receiving any future content updates, as I understand. SWL doesn't have all the content that TSW had yet, I believe, and they have the base game atm, and then they are working on moving over the rest of the game (previous expansions).

SWL has a revamped combat system aiming to be more "action combat", no more tab targetting. Each weapon class has a gimmick (I think the gimmicks are all new), or a unique mechanic I guess you could call it. There seems to be a fair bit of RNG involved with the gimmicks, but time will tell how that plays out.

I got TSW in a humble bundle a while back and never tried it out, but with the relaunch I figure I'd give it a go. The game is pretty cool so far, it's definitely different than your typical high fantasy MMO, this one has guns, but also swords and magic. So far I've been fighting just zombies and am only in the first zone once you get started, playing a blood magic / assault rifle character, and it's fun.

Game is f2p and has patron for added perks, lots of people are complaining right now about it, I think funcom might tweak some things, we'll see. But, none of the restrictions are affecting me yet, all game content is available as f2p.

If you owned TSW you can link your accounts and it unlocks all the classes, otherwise you have to unlock them past the first 2 you get for free.

weapon/classes are broke down into melee, guns, and magic, each having three weapon choices which all can DPS, but then have a secondary of survivability, support, or heals.

Right now I'm treating it how I play the star wars MMO, I'll play it casually for the story, and once I get to the end I can decide if I want to play it more seriously or not.

Edit: Launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPPExICQhg
Site Contributor

Gunthore PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

The game launched on steam a couple of weeks ago, and they just released Tokyo, which I think was their first expansion/new issue or w/e they called it in TSW.

The game is pretty fun and unique, I've really enjoyed it thus far. I'm about 25% from hitting max level, but I haven't even touched the last 3 zones and then there's tokyo after that. You can outlevel stuff pretty easily. The story is highly touted amongst the fans of the game, it has been fine for me, nothing amazing, rarely terrible (the start is a little weird with how you get your powers... spoiler alert a (magic?) bee flies in your mouth).

The skills that I've tried have all been fun, so far just Blood magic, elementalism, and assault rifle. I was worried about the guns bc I don't normally like those in my fantasy games, but they are all very magical, for AR you don't even really feel like it's a gun you're using.

The environment is really, really cool, and something completely different than any other MMO I've played. There's been a couple times at night when I'm playing an the house is all dark and I've been truly freaked out. Speaking of MMO, it's kinda weird, in most of the zones they want it to be eery so there's a cap of only like 5-10 ppl per zone, so you don't run into ppl often, the leveling 1-50 is going to be pretty solo, and can be done rather quickly.

The loot is weird and where the real grind is. Basically there are no trash drops and no gear that drops, basically ever. You do get caches as trash drops, but they require keys that require premium currency to open (patrons get 1 key a day), it sounds lame, but you can sell the caches to vendors and treat it like vendor trash or you can sell them to other players on the AH. All loot comes from dungeons and completing quests. Dungeons give gear and/or these special items that give you higher amounts of xp when fed into your gear..

Gear has levels and tiers, you get xp on your gear by feeding it similar type of gear. For example. You have a blood magic tomb so and other blood magic tombs you come across your feed into your main 1 and it gains xp. Once it reaches max level for the tier you use another max level for the tier and combine them to get to the next tier. It's a bit of a grind, but it doesn't seem too terrible to me, granted I'm not 50 and I play very casually atm.

There's a few things locked behind pay walls, like higher tiers of sprint, bag space, and that's all I can think of atm, but I'm getting by just fine with my bag space, and you can us the marketplace to buy the premium currency for the main in game currency, which I've used to purchase all buy the highest sprint (saving for it now, then I'll expand bags).

Other than that, Patron gives you 10% xp boost, and it gives you double Ability Points / Special Points every time you earn one. AP is used on skills, SP is used on passives. The main grind of the game after you have the skills you want to use for your build is grinding all the passives, because a lot of them give flat skill boosts (small) that all stack. You also get free fast travel and a cache key a day and extra dungeon chest unlocks. Speaking of, you only get x amount of keys a day to open dungeon chests (which spawn after every boss kill) but you can buy more for the premium currency, and in the past it was worth it bc the item that came out would generally sell for enough regular currency on the AH to buy another key. Idk if this is still true since they made some changes and the AH is more flooded now.

I'd recommend patron if you want to play during the level process just for the double AP/SP, because you earn them at a significantly higher rate while leveling 0-50, once you hit 50 you keep earning them kind of as an alternate advancement, but the rate slows down a lot. I'll probably cancel my patron after this month bc I've got most I need unlocked, and while the double AP/SP would be very nice for unlocking passives faster, it's not needed and it won't help me gear up quicker (extra dungeon keys would, but I don't run them every day anyways). Fast travel is convenient but not that big of a deal, the zones aren't that big and you can also use small amounts of currency to do it.

Overall, I enjoy the game and would recommend checking it out.
Site Contributor

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: